Thursday, January 17, 2013

Momma's Kale Chips

Momma's Kale Chips



Kale is a food I definitely try to work into a our menu as often as I can because it is just so nutritious.  Full of fiber, calcium, iron, antioxidants and Vitamins A, C, K, any parent would feel pretty good about feeding their young'ens this super food. Healthy or not, these kale chips are awfully yummy, too. I would say that is a win-win. Here is how it's done:





1. The first thing I do is grab a bunch of kale and start removing the center stem. I then take the big kale leaves and start chopping them into "chips". I usually shoot for 3-4 inch pieces.












2. From the chopping board, I toss everything into a bowl of  water to get any remaining dirt washed off.  I move the kale up and down in the water, dump the water and then repeat a few times until the water rinsing off is clear of any dirt particles.















3. I toss the kale with olive oil. Be careful not to over do it but you definitely want all the leaves to be coated. I then toss in the garlic powder and sea salt. The kale is now ready for the baking sheet. When placing it on the baking sheet, be sure to keep the kale in a single layer, not overlapping and not folded over.












4.After about 10 to 15 minutes in the oven, the kale is ready to enjoy. You want to edges to start to brown and the leaves to be crispy. If you find a few soggy ones, put them back in for another minute or two. Other than a few uncooperative kale chips, you should have a big bowl full of crispy yumminess!












If you plan on sharing with the young folks in your house, I recommend eating your share first. In our house, the bowl goes from full to empty in under 5 minute






  Recipe
1 bunch of kale
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of Sea Salt 
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, or bit more to taste



1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. Have two ungreased cookie sheets ready to go! 
2. Remove the stems from the kale and cut the leaves into pieces. Rinse the kale until clean. 
3. Toss the leaves with olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. Place on cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 350degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep a close eye on edges beginning to brown to be sure they don't burn. 
5. Share or don't share. The choice is yours. 









ALL GONE!

2 comments:

  1. I did it! This recipe helped me to FINALLY get my kale chips right! We love them, now. I bought pre-cut organic kale at Trader Joe's, so it cut out the whole prep process for me. The pieces were a bit smaller than I would have liked once they crisped up, but they would be perfect for teeny tiny kiddie hands! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michelle! This was a favorite of ours before we had Sam 2.5 years ago...why did we ever stop eating these? I made them for him today and we devoured them. A great snack for the whole family. Thanks for bringing the kale chip back to our household! Can't wait to try your other recipes. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete