Saturday, January 26, 2013

"Noodles" and "Sauce"

"Noodles" and Sauce


I am sure you noticed the very clever quotation marks in the title. You get the impression there aren't any actual noodles in this recipe, don't you? Well, my friend, indeed you are correct. There are no noodles in this recipe. In fact, the noodles are thinly sliced zucchini. 

This recipe is easy and jam-packed with veggies. Its nothing fancy but it is tasty and was a huge hit with my mob of little ones. 





Here is what I used:


The starting line up: ghee, green pepper, garlic, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, carrot, 2 zucchini and strained tomatoes. 



I love using these strained tomatoes because the ONLY thing in the jar is TOMATOES! 




FIrst I made the "noodles". Slice the zucchini. I used a mandolin and made these nice even strands. Salt the zucchini and move into a colander. Some water will be released and drain off. Set aside and start the sauce. 

*While slicing the zucchini on the mandolin, you can stop once you hit the seeds, turn it and continue slicing. Not including the seeds will give you firmer "noodles". I sliced right through and included the seeds. It was still a big hit.






Next I heated the olive oil in a large pan and then added the onions. I like to sauté until the onions are translucent. Then I added the garlic, peppers, mushrooms, carrots and grape tomatoes. I let all those friends hang out a bit, get relaxed, then I added the strained tomatoes, spices, salt and pepper. I covered it up and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes.  


In another pan, I heated the ghee. I added the zucchini to the pan and sautéd it until it softens but not until mushy. 




The "noodles" and sauce are ready! We added some baked meatballs made with shredded carrots. You could add parmesan cheese, too. Super tasty meal and really good for you! My kiddies gobbled it up!




Ingredients for "Noodles":

2 large zucchini
1 Tbsp of ghee
salt



Ingredients for the Sauce:

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 of a large onion
1/2 of a large pepper (like the monster in the picture) other wise use a whole pepper
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
1 cup of grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 large carrot, shredded
3 1/2 cups strained tomatoes
1 Tbsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
1 1/2 tsp rosemary
salt and pepper to taste




No comments:

Post a Comment