Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chocolate covered strawberries



CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRIES








Well, it is Valentine's Day! The older children and I wanted to make something tasty for The Daddy and nothing says "I love you" quite like chocolate and strawberries! This is a yummy treat, it looks pretty and it really is perfect for little hands to put together! All I did was melt the dark chocolate and helped the kiddies drizzle on the white chocolate. Other than that, Big Sister and Brother could do the bulk of the work themselves and they loved it. The children can feel a great sense of accomplishment when they hand their self-made gift to Daddy tonight! 



Making chocolate covered strawberries is quite easy. I melted 1 cup of dark chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in the microwave. I usually heat it for 30 seconds, stir it and then go another 30 seconds, stir... you get the idea. Once it is melted, I stir in a pinch of sea salt. At that point we are ready for dipping! 






The kids took turns dipping a strawberry and placing it on a tray covered with wax paper. If you are thinking that this looks like it has the potential to get messy, you are right. Aprons would have been a good idea here.  :)






Once all of the strawberries were covered in dark chocolate, I melted only 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil using the same method as above. When it was melted, I helped Big Sister and Brother take turns drizzling it over the dipped berries. After that we simply put the tray in the fridge until the chocolate hardened. Easy Peasy!!  :)  




I love projects that allow for a significant amount of independence for the little hands involved. And I love seeing their proud little faces when they see the finished product. We had a lot of fun making these and I think Daddy is going to love them!!! 

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment