Sunday, June 30, 2013

Beet salad




Beet Salad





Oh, beets. How I love thee. 

Beets are full of sweet yummy goodness. They have lots of vitamins and minerals, are a great source of energy and they taste great! Beets act like a tonic for your liver and help your body cleanse. They are a source of betaine that promotes cardio vascular health (yes, beets are really good for your blood!) and beets are great for pregnant women especially since they contain iron and folic acid. I have sung the praises of beets before, (check out my blog post titled 5 Things I want my healthy hungry kids to say) so it is no mystery that I think beets are a super healthy choice for my family. 

I make a few different beet salads but this is a favorite of not only my immediate family, but our extended family as well. I am happy to share it with you! 


Ingredients:
Salad

6 red beets

1/2 onion, diced 

2 stalks of celery

1 dill pickle

2 hard boiled eggs



Dressing
1 teaspoon celery seed

1/2 cup olive oil

1/3 cup red wine vinegar

1/3 honey

salt and pepper






First things first, cut off, clean and chop up those beautiful beet greens and prepare them the same way you would in your favorite spinach recipe: sautéed with garlic and olive oil and then served over baked sweet potatoes is a simple "go to" recipe for me. 










After that, you want to clean, peel and chop the beets. In a pot, cover them with water and boil them until tender enough to poke with a fork. 

At the same time, hard boil two eggs. 






While the beets and eggs cook, you can chop up the celery, onion, and pickle (not featured here, haha!). 


Once all the ingredients are chopped, combine in a large bowl and then prep your dressing. Pour the dressing over the top of your salad. 






Let the salad sit for about a half hour before serving. Enjoy!!!! 



Thank you so much for reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment